Please review the RULES and DETAILS here!



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What have you tried?!?

I admit it.. I'm on a kick.  Fad dieting is a concept that is hard for me to swallow.  Of course, my greatest frustration is the statistic that 75-95% of people who lose weight will regain it ALL in the first 3 years.  I blame this statistic on fad dieting.  I will comfortably go out on a limb and say 100% of people who lose weight by making lifestyle changes (and maintaining these changes) WILL maintain their weight loss!! 
I also want to point this out.  People who lose weight by diets that use pills, take an entire food type (like carbs) completely out of the diet, or tell you you can eat WHATEVER you want as long as you don't exceed a ridiculously low amount of calories per day... these people decrease their lean muscle mass significantly.  Here's my example.  When I started I was right around 40% body fat.  Had I taken a different approach to weight loss, like taken pills that stunt my hunger etc... I could have lost the weight but even at 120 lbs could still have been around 30% fat!  (I am currently just under 18%)  Here's the thing... when these people regain the weight (cause 75-95% of them will)... they REGAIN fat!!  Now they are back to the weight they started at but NOW they are 50% fat and WORSE off then they were when they started. 
(ARE YOU STARTING TO SEE WHY I HATE FAD DIETING SO MUCH?!?!)
Just for fun... what "fad diets" have you tried AND why do you think they failed?

6 comments:

Karilynn said...

I tried Atkins but could never stick to it because I was always shaking and lacking energy.
I also tried a RX diet med (like Ally) I really did poop my pants at least once... ultimately it was the need to poop 40 times a day that was my defeat!

Samantha Thomas said...

Oh where do I start. I think I tried a lot of different fad pills because that's what my mom and my aunts did. But I didn't relate them to the rollercoaster dieting they had done. I had considered doing HCG a year or so back until I read more into it and decided this was not the way. I shouldn't have to "trick" my body into being healthy. I should be healthy too be healthy.

Julie Hulburt said...

Oh yes, I've tried fad diets, my favorite one....not eating the right amount of calories. Oh ya, I lost weight and looked skinny but I was still fat in my eyes because I didn't have muscle tone. I tired diet pills once and they sent me into palpitations. Oh the fun of thinking your heart is going to explode. Nope, this time it is for our life....my life. Baby steps will get me there.

Michelle said...

I did adkins but didn't lose anything. I done all the pills but though they would increase my metabolizm so I ate more. I've done the lemon juice and Cayane pepper I was starving!!!

I have learned how to do this porperly but I did gain the weight back because I still haven't gotten to the core of why I eat.

Mindy said...

Um, i've tried freaking EVERYTHING! it never worked because i never really believed in myself. i always saw myself as the fat me and never knew it could be different. besides, it wasn't a lifestyle change just a temporary fix.

Our Fam said...

Ive tried it all, but I have always avoided pills and drugs. My mom did the FenFen thing and she will forever be heart patient now. It scares me the things people will do to get and stay slim. We are doing the lifestyle changes and its taking it off slowly but that is how it got on there.