Please review the RULES and DETAILS here!



Saturday, August 7, 2010

First Challenge!! :)

Ya'll ready for this?!?!

This weeks challenge is about PORTION SIZES.

I challenge everyone to PAY ATTENTION TO AND CONSUME PROPER PORTION SIZES!! Read your labels! Regardless of what you are eating, it is never as damaging to your goals if you are paying attention to HOW MUCH you are eating. This means if you are going to eat Doritos you should count out 11 chips according to the label. (I would guess that when you fill a bowl with chips and eat them, you are getting at least 3 servings, in this case that would be 420 calories.)
Portion sizes are ABSOLUTELY KEY to weight loss! You can eat TOO MUCH of a good thing. So how do you know that you are eating the right sized portion? Here is a rule of thumb. A proper portion size for a piece of meat is about the size of the palm of your hand 5-6 ozs. [You also can be REALLY good at portion sizes by purchasing a food scale!] A proper portion size for a complex carb or starch is about the size of a cupped hand. (Umm... this means if you must eat mashed potatoes you are getting ONE SMALL SCOOP!! As opposed to filling half the plate! ;o) ) The proper portion size for fruits/veggies is about the size of two cupped hands! And in case you were wondering... The proper portion size for simple sugar carbs is NONE! ;o) But at least read the label and KNOW how many calories/fat g/carbs etc you are eating before you put it in your mouth.
*My suggestion for being successful in this challenge is to WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!! Everything that goes into your mouth should be measured out. If you are writing it down, it's just a little extra focus/effort on achieving your goal. *
There are a zillion lessons that can be learned by taking on this challenge!! ARE YOU IN?!?!?

9 comments:

littlemisspretty said...

totally in!!

Unknown said...

Of course, I'm in!!! R you?

Steve @ Weight Loss Diet said...

Very good ideal. Portion size is important and I will also watch portion size these weeks.

Michelle said...

IN!

Mindy said...

LOVE IT!!! This is SUCH a big challenge for me and soemthng i still haven't gotten a hold of. love that it's the first one. i'm going to see if i can make it a permanent fixture. i find that when i really do write it down i'm often FREAKED out by what i see on the paper... HOW DID THAT GET IN MY MOUTH!?!?!?

Jack said...

I always portion out my food, so I'm totally in. Portion size is important and should not be confused with serving size. I might need 2 or 3 serving sizes while someone else might need a 1/2 of one. It all depends on your individual needs.

youcandoit said...

I am in. I will start writing my food intake on this site. Great challenge! THANKS!

Oh, can anyone tell me what the daily sodium intake should be? I really don't take in that much sodium, but when I decide to eat that processed food, I never really know what my limit should be for sodium.

Karilynn said...

The FDA recommendation for sodium is 1 tsp a day... (between all your processed foods etc... bottom line.. don't ADD sodium to anything!!

Robyn said...

I love this! I was so surprised a serving of pasta is usually about 1/3 cup. That means in the past with my big ol olive garden plate of pasta I was eating probably about 10-12 servings of pasta! No wonder I was heavy!