Please review the RULES and DETAILS here!



Sunday, January 24, 2010

Challenge Numero DOS!

Ya'll ready for this?!?!

This weeks challenge is about PORTION SIZES. (I've noticed a couple of gals have been posting about this!!)

I challenge everyone to PAY ATTENTION TO AND CONSUME PROPER PORTION SIZES!! Read your labels! Regardless of what you are eating, it is never as damaging to your goals if you are paying attention to HOW MUCH you are eating. This means if you are going to eat Doritos you should count out 11 chips according to the label. (I would guess that when you fill a bowl with chips and eat them, you are getting at least 3 servings, in this case that would be 420 calories.)

Portion sizes are ABSOLUTELY KEY to weight loss! You can eat TOO MUCH of a good thing. So how do you know that you are eating the right sized portion? Here is a rule of thumb. A proper portion size for a piece of meat is about the size of the palm of your hand 5-6 ozs. [You also can be REALLY good at portion sizes by purchasing a food scale!] A proper portion size for a complex carb or starch is about the size of a cupped hand. (Umm... this means if you must eat mashed potatoes you are getting ONE SMALL SCOOP!! As opposed to filling half the plate! ;o) ) The proper portion size for fruits/veggies is about the size of two cupped hands! And in case you were wondering... The proper portion size for simple sugar carbs is NONE! ;o) But at least read the label and KNOW how many calories/fat g/carbs etc you are eating before you put it in your mouth.

*My suggestion for being successful in this challenge is to WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN!! Everything that goes into your mouth should be measured out. If you are writing it down, it's just a little extra focus/effort on achieving your goal. *

There are a zillion lessons that can be learned by taking on this challenge!! ARE YOU IN?!?!?

11 comments:

Grace said...

Oh, excellent! I'm already doing this baby and have been for the last three weeks! In case people missed it on my journal, I still totally recommend the "Lose It" application for the iPhone. It's a really handy way to keep track of calories and such, you can change portion sizes, it has some restaurants and common foods already programmed in, and you can tell it what nutrients you want to keep track of... I'm tracking calories, and grams of fat, carbs, and protein.

Anonymous said...

I just wished restaurants did that but us consumers would feel that they weren't getting their moneys worth. As soon as my meal comes in I ask for another plate and a doggy container. Although I never eat the leftovers I feel bad about just leaving it. I have always practiced portion control for the past 16 months. The only way to be successful.

Pitbull said...

This is the challenge for me!!! I guess I never thought I could eat too much of a good thing! What's the proper salad size? I will really make an effort with this this week!!!! Love your challenges by the way!

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

No challenge for me this week. I've been measuring and recording for the last 3 weeks. I got portions down cold. Hope this challenge motivates some of you. =)

Kira's blog said...

that is such a coincidence, because i was making my lunch today and i wanted to have quesidilla. I thought i have been good i will have some cheese between 2 tortillas! I checked the calorie content and decided NOPE just one at that was good enough and filled me up! This makes such a difference!

Unknown said...

In....

Mindy said...

i'm in... and you're getting the details.. LOL! can't wait!

... said...

Since I started this competition three weeks ago, I have been faithfully watching my calories and reading labels like a crazy lady! I love my food journal online at curvescomplete.com, it helps me stay on track. I also purchased new measuring cups and a food scale. I find these items help you in the long run, and my weight/ inches prove that to me on Friday. Anyways, I am a very happy label reader! I hope this challenge motivates others as much as it did with me three weeks ago!

Kristie said...

this is a good one, I'm in!

Anniemal said...

I'm in... I had a lesson with this Sat. I ALWAYS read labels when buying things before it makes it in my cart... but for some reason I got these burritos that were 300 calories from whole foods. Woohoo I thought! I had half for lunch and half for snack recorded it, same thing the next day. Told my bf I can't believe they are 300 calories... he said... yeah, I bet they aren't. And he was right! There are 2 servings per burrito so my meal was 600 and not 300. BIG difference!